How To Sew A Fabric Wallet?
This little sewing project is perfectly doable for a relatively new sewer. There is a little zipper, yes, but it’s not difficult. I promise.
This wallet makes a great gift or a lovely selfish treat. Gather some beautiful fabrics or use your scraps for a zero waste project.
The finished wallet is 4 by 8 inch.
You need the following supplies
- A 7” zipper (mine is smaller, I didn’t have a 7” at hand that matched my fabric)
- A snap button or magnetic snap
- ¼ yard of exterior fabric
- ¼ yard of interior fabric
- ¼ yard of pocket fabric
- ¼ yard of all-purpose fusible interfacing
- ¼ yard of fusible fleece or batting to give some body to your project
Of course you can use the same fabric for all parts and just buy ¾ yard of your favorite fabric!
CUT the following fabric pieces:
- Copy pattern piece 1 on the interior fabric and cut out
- Copy pattern piece 2 on the interior fabric and cut out
- Measure a rectangular piece: 8 ½” x 20” on the pocket fabric and cut out
- Measure two rectangular pieces: 2 ½” x 1 ¼” on the pocket fabric and cut out
- Tape pattern piece 1 & 2 together and copy on the exterior fabric and cut out
LINE the following pieces:
- Pattern piece 1 = interior→ all purpose fusible interfacing
- Pattern piece 2 = interior → all purpose fusible interfacing
- Pattern piece 1 + 2 = the exterior part→ fusible fleece
1. Let’s tackle the ZIPPER first: Take the 2 small squares and place them on each end of the zipper, right side down, 1 ½ inch from the edges. If you fold them open the total length of the zipper piece should be 8 ½ inch, the same width as the wallet pieces.
Sew the squares on the zipper, press the 2 pieces open, and trim of excess fabric.
2. Take PATTERN PIECE 2, put it on the zipper piece you just assembled, right sides facing, and sew a ¼” seam.
Press open and top stitch along the zipper with your zipper foot. This is now the zipper pocket piece.
3. Next, take the big POCKET PIECE. First double fold the top edge and sew a ⅜” hem.
Now we’re going to fold a paper fan. Draw marks at 2 ⅜ inch, 4 ⅜, 6 ¾, 8 ¾, 11 ⅛, 13 ⅛ inch. The back side of each pocket is 2 ⅜ inch and the front side 2 inch.
Fold the fan to make 3 long pockets and press the folds down.
Find the middle point (4 ¼ inch), mark it on both ends, draw a helpline and topstitch that line. Also stay stitch on both edges at ¼” to keep the pocket folds in place.
4. Take PATTERN PIECE 1. Place your pocket piece on top of this interior piece about 4 ⅜ inch down from the top. Pin down and sew another stay stitch along the left and right sides at ¼ inch.
5. Take your zipper pocket piece. Align the bottom edge of this piece with the bottom edge of your folded pocket piece, fold over so right sides are facing (the zipper edge is about 8 ½” inch from the top edge) and sew the zipper piece and business card pocket piece together along the zipper edge with your zipper foot. Press open.
6. Stitch through the pocket piece and the interior piece just beneath the 6 pockets. This way, you close the big top pocket behind the business card pockets. I forgot this while making this wallet. Look at the YELLOW line in the picture below to know where to put the topstitching.
7. Take your BUTTON and the exterior piece. Measure 3 inch from the bottom edge and find the center. Attach one part of the button here. The top part will be attached in the last step. I’ve used a MadamSew metal snap button that is in this handy box. HERE
8. Place the EXTERIOR PIECE and your interior piece together, right sides facing, and pin all the way around.
Now stitch all the way around along the edges at ½” and leave a turning hole in one of the straight sides, not at the top. Closing a curved line is more difficult than a straight seam. Clip your corners and the round edges at the top.
10. Now attach the other button part. Find the center point at the top edge. Attach your snap here
There you have it! A nice wallet! Play around with different colors and textures.
Sewing enthusiast and sewing blogger/vlogger for Madam Sew
I share all my projects on Instagram @an_madamsew